Attraction 1: Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum
Yes, it is truly amazing!!!!
Over the centuries, man has devised many ways to open the nutshell to capture the delicious morsel inside. There is no other tool that has been made in so many different designs and with such a variety of materials as the nutcracker.
And the Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum displays over 6,000 specimens of nutcrackers from Roman times to present day. Yes, you will be amazed at man's ingenuity!!!
Visitors can view a 14 minute video of the history of the nutcrackers before touring the museum, and if time is allowed, students can go on a "nutcracker hunt". Even parents enjoy helping their youngsters with this activity!
Open each afternoon from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. from May 1 to October 31, a visit to the museum is a "must see" when visiting Leavenworth. Sorry, but the museum is only open on weekends from November through April except by appointment.
Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum Mission Statement:
"To foster and encourage the interest of the general public of the importance of nuts in the diets of humans throughout history and in the evolution of the nutcracker. No other tool or collectible has shown such a wide diversity of material and design as the implements used to crack the hard shell of a nut".
Attraction 2: Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery
Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery provides several popular on-site recreational public uses on the facility grounds. These are offered by hatchery staff:
• Guided and Self-Guided Hatchery Tours – The hatchery is open every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. The hatchery is open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. * Winter and holiday hours may vary. Self-guided tours are available during office hours. Guided tours may be arranged, at least two weeks in advance, upon request. Please call 509-548-7641 to arrange a tour.
• Icicle River Nature Trail - Our one-mile loop trail is fully accessible and offers a rare opportunity to see spawning salmon. This is a non-strenuous trail for families and nature enthusiasts.
• Watchable Wildlife viewings - Two wildlife viewing blinds as well as several benches along the trail provide opportunities to rest and enjoy nature in action.
• Birding - This is a birder’s paradise with frequent sightings of the American Dipper, Western Tanager, Rufus Hummingbird, and many more. An Eagle Scout project exhibits many bird nesting houses along with descriptions of a few featured species.
• Winter Wildlife Snowshoe Tours - Volunteer naturalists provide weekend guided tours of the nature trail after it has been blanketed by snow. Snowshoes and poles are provided. Reservations must be made in advance. www.friendsofnwhatcheries.org
The recreational opportunities listed below are coordinated through the Special Use Permit system of the Department of the Interior. These uses include:
• Summertime horseback rides (Icicle Outfitters)
• Leavenworth Summer Theater
• Rafting on Icicle Creek
• Winter horse-drawn sleigh rides (Icicle Outfitters)
• Cross Country Skiing (Leavenworth Winter Sports Club)
• Special events:
o Washington State Special Olympics (March)
o Leavenworth Marathon (October)
o Arbor Day (April)
o Friends of Northwest Hatcheries Programs
o Winter ski events
o Salmon Festival (September)
o Salmon Run (October)
o American Kennel Club (April)